TACOS! Beautiful, delicious, zesty chicken tacos. Few can say no to the much-loved shredded chicken taco, and luckily, these tacos are good for you and the planet. You’ve been warned—these tacos might just be your newest addiction. The recipes that follow use our pasture-raised chicken have fast-tracked their way into the weekly meal plans of many folks here at White Oak Pastures.
Classic shredded chicken tacos are made all the better with the addition of a cilantro lime dressing. Not only does this dressing make these tacos fly off the plate, but if you make extra, you’ll find yourself drizzling it on every meal for the next week.
Shredded Chicken Tacos (with Cilantro Lime Dressing)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 White Oak Pastures pasture-raised chicken
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz. can green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 cup favorite salsa
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 package yellow corn tortillas
- Minced cilantro
- Diced red or white onion
- Sour cream
- Cotija cheese
- Pico de gallo
- Finely shredded white cabbage
- Fresh jalapenos, thinly sliced
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- First, roast and shred the whole chicken (can be done ahead of time):
- Rub the outside of the chicken with butter or oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Truss chicken (video here) and roast, breast side up, at 400 degrees F, for about 45 minutes.
- Check the chicken and continue roasting in 10 minute increments until done. It is fully cooked when the thickest part of the thigh measures 165 degrees F and the juices run clear.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred meat (approx. 3 to 3 1/2 cups)
- Heat olive oil in skillet, add garlic and green chiles and cook until sizzling, about 1 minute.
- Add the chile powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and a sprinkle of salt. Cook for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Add salsa, brown sugar, and water. Simmer and cook for approximately five minutes.
- Add shredded chicken to skillet, stir until chicken is completely coated and simmer until most of the liquid has reduced down and is no longer soupy. Add additional salt if needed.
- Warm tortillas, fill with chicken mixture and top with any (or all) of the suggested optional toppings. Drizzle each taco with the Cilantro Lime Dressing to serve.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
You’ll find many variations on this hugely popular dressing across the internet but trust us when we say this one truly hits the spot. We won’t hold it against you if you drink this stuff right out of the blender. You can pour it on tacos (obviously) and salads, and it’s especially good drizzled over some grassfed steak!
- 1 packet (1oz/28g) Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix (or equivalent)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2-3 large tomatillos, remove husk, cut in 1/2
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro (stems included!)
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Juice of 1 large lime (have extra on hand to add to taste)
- 1 jalapeno (deseed for a milder dressing)
- (Optional Add-In: Add one 4oz can diced green chiles for a more “southwestern” flavor.)
- Add all the ingredients to the blender.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes, or longer.
- That’s it! (No, really).