Friends and supporters,
For many reasons, we have decided to expand the online portion of our business. Mostly, this is because we enjoy having a more personal relationship with the people who support us by purchasing our food. We intend to continue moving in this direction.
We also are increasingly aware that we want to support people who live in our region. I do not want to sound unappreciative to the folks across the country who support us. We appreciate your business.
At the same time, we want to see humane, regenerative, climate-change mitigating, rural community-building farms proliferate all over the country. We are not trying to "hog up" all of the business and create a nationwide company. We don't want one. Our global food production system has been headed in that direction for the last 75 years and the results of this have not been encouraging.
We have long maintained that our business is cyclical and not linear. That makes our business replicable and not scalable. We are about as big as we are going to get, but we will continue to help other farmers feed their regions as we work harder to feed our own.
The terrible problems that we have encountered with UPS and FedEx are also pushing us to move in this direction. They can't get our deliveries where they need to be, when they are supposed to get there, and with the package not torn all to hell. These are not bad people. Their delivery model was designed to deliver books, shirts, and other non-perishables. When they tried to apply it to meat...it fell apart. This became more apparent when Covid-19 put pressure on these companies by increasing their business volume.
We have been looking for a better way to help get our products to you, and I believe we have found it. We call it "Come & Get It, Y'all!".
Here is the deal:
- You place an order for $1500 or more of our products.
(That is about 6-8 cubic feet. You can store it in a couple of large coolers.)
The average person eats well over $1500 worth of meat in a year.
- You receive a free stay in one of White Oak Pasture's pine cabins.
(1-night stay in a Pine Cabin, Monday-Thursday night only, subject to availability. Additional nights or cabin upgrades may be added for an extra charge)
- Once your order is placed, our customer service team will reach out to you with some next steps to plan your visit and pickup.
- Load up your family and your ice chests. (Pick up available weekdays only)
- We will issue you a gift card credit to our online store for $200 off your next purchase.
- You get to see where your food comes from and how it is raised and processed.
- You receive a lovely family (or romantic) overnight getaway on us.
The benefits to us are:
- We don't have to lose control of your products to UPS or FedEx.
- We save the costs of shipping.
- We save the costs of dry ice and coolers.
- We keep styrofoam out of the environment.
- You get exactly what you ordered, and it will still be frozen when you get home.
- We get to meet you.
It's a win - win - win kinda deal.
If you are too far from us to travel, or this option doesn't suit you, please keep ordering from us online. We will happily continue shipping to you, and at the same time, we will continue training farmers to do what we do through the non-profit we founded last year, the Center for Agricultural Resilience.
Thank you for your business, wherever you are. Your purchases allow us to keep doing what we are doing.